Botetourt County Tourism Home Virginia is for Lovers Botetourt County Legal Notice




Fish Virginia First

Fish Virginia First is the Mid-Atlantic's Premier Fishing Trail. Some of the best fishing destinations in the country await you in Virginia. Home of some of the most picturesque and inspiring lakes, ponds, streams, rivers and reservoirs around, Virginia promises to satisfy your desire to fish, as well as your sense of adventure.

James River


From the confluence of the Jackson and Cowpasture Rivers in Botetourt County, downstream to Richmond, the James River offers a wide range of angling opportunities and settings. Small mouth bass are the dominant game species, but spotted and large mouth bass can also be caught.


Other species are also plentiful in the James River, including channel catfish, flathead catfish, and various sunfish species (redbreast, bluegill, and rock bass).


Overall, the James River offers an excellent fishing opportunity for whatever you might want. Canoeing is the best way to access the river, maps and narration for float trips are found under Maps & Access. Small boats (such as john boats) can also be used at most access points. Bank and wade fishing access is also available throughout the river.



Jennings Creek


Jennings Creek is a Heritage Trout Day stocked stream. At several locations along Jennings Creek, people can drive right up to the side of the stream, find trout water, and hopefully even catch a fish. A lot of vegetation such as hemlocks and rhododendron live along the creek and are very appealing. Fishermen are likely to see wildlife from butterflies to deer.


Jennings Creek is very easy to reach. The Arcadia Exit off Interstate 81 is the best stopping off point, and sportsmen can then take Route 614 to the stream itself. As an added angling incentive, Jennings flows into the nearby James River.




North Creek


The upper section of the stream (upstream of the North Creek campground) was designated a catch-and-release trout stream in 1999. Rainbow trout predominate, although brook trout are present as well. Adult trout will range from 7-12 inches. The stream is located east of Buchanan, a short distance from I-81. The Jefferson National Forest maintains a campground adjacent to the stream and vehicular access is available along most of its length.



Roaring Run


The Roaring Run trophy trout section was established in 1999. The 1 mile section is located in the Jefferson National Forest between the third foot bridge upstream of the Roaring Run Furnace Day Use Area and the Botetourt County line. The lower section of Roaring Run (within the National Forest) remains put-and-take water. The trophy section runs through a very steep gorge that has an abundance of deep pools, which are supplied with cold water from a large limestone spring. The trophy section continues to be developed using annual brown and rainbow fingerling stockings. Trout growth and survival to date has been good for both species of trout. Three-year classes of trout have been established in the stream and fish up to 16 inches are available for anglers. The stream can be accessed by taking Route 615 off US Route 220 west of Eagle Rock to Route 621.


Stocked trout streams are marked with appropriate signs, which identify the portion of stream stocked. Marked sections are open to public fishing, in accordance with agreements between the Department and private landowners. This is the only case where anglers are not required to have landowner permission before fishing on private water.



Map of Fishing Sites


View Fish Virginia First - Botetourt County in a larger map


License Requirements


Residents: All residents 16 years of age and older are required to possess a state freshwater fishing license to fish for trout. Persons who fish in designated stocked waters  must have an additional trout license. A National Forest Stamp is necessary when fishing in most waters within the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.


Non-Residents: Out-of-state anglers who fish designated stocked waters need to purchase: a non-resident state freshwater fishing license (five-day, non-resident licenses are available), a non-resident trout license, and a National Forest Stamp (where appropriate).  For fishing in wild trout or most special regulation waters, the non-resident needs only: a non-resident state freshwater fishing license, the appropriate National Forest Stamp and landowner permit cards.


How and where to obtain a license.